Monday 2 April 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkins

Description:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.There is.She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.She's wrong.

Calamity's Review:
What attracted me to this book was the cover. It wasn't because the cover stood out or that the title was interesting. It was because it just sat there, blended in. I had heard of this book but I didn't really think I wanted to read it. The price wasn't too bad and I wanted to buy a book, so I picked it up. I took me a couple days to actually START reading it. It stayed in the back of my mind but for some reason, I didn't read it. Anyway, once I did, i could NOT put it down.

This is definitely one of those odd books. I was reading it, and I couldn't stop, but I don't know WHY. I just recently read many negative reviews about this book. And i was shocked! Yes, this book is kind of messy, but the author does slowly unveil everything and give us answers. I'll admit, I was sort of confused while reading, heck, I still am....but! the story was intriguing enough to stay around for. There were many questions that remained unanswered until the very end and it was very taunting. The unbeoming of Mara Dyer kept me questioning everything and it kept me on edge.

I'm not gonna over the main characters too much because although they ARE the main peeps in the book, I felt like i wasn't reading about them. Do you get what I mean? No? Well, It's like this; The main characters had no personailty. Yes, Mara Dyer (the girl protagonist) DOES have this awesome power? But other than that, I have no idea who she is.

Oh! Almost forgot, there was SOME culture in the book, and it was VERY refreshing! So although this book was compelling and the storyline was pretty rad, I think that the writing style could have been better and some more depth to characters would have been nice. I forgot to mention that Mara Dyer IS a pretty detailed character but everyone else just seems kind of flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment