Tuesday 22 May 2012

Torn By Amanda Hocking Review (Trylle Novel #2)

Source: Raincoast Books (Finished Copy)

Author: Amanda Hocking

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

Description: 


When Wendy Everly first discovers the truth about herself - that she's a changeling switched at birth - she knows her life will never be the same. Now she's about to learn that there's more to the story...
She shares a closer connection to her Vittra rivals than she ever imagined - and they'll stop at nothing to lure her to their side. With the threat of war looming, her only hope of saving the Trylle is to master her magical powers - and marry an equally powerful royal. But that means walking away from Finn, her handsome bodyguard who's strictly off limits... and Loki, a Vittra prince with whom she shares a growing attraction.
Torn between her heart and her people, between love and duty, Wendy must decide her fate. If she makes the wrong choice, she could lose everything, and everybody, she's ever wanted... in both worlds.
As a special gift to readers, this book contains a new, never-before-published bonus story, "One Day, Three Ways," set in the magical world of the Trylle.

Chaos' Review:
  As always, it's time to criticize the cover! HOORAY! But, I adore the cover, so there isn't much of anything to be rash about. My favourite colour is blue, and typically the cover is basically blue, and I adore accessories, meaning the crown being held by the girl (Wendy) in the center, so this cover is perfectly mysterious and pretty all at once, though the figure of the girl is a little too blurred, but it's still gorgeous. 
  Now on to the story part! To be honest, I haven't read Switched and just dived into this book, but it was still VERY good either way! I understood the concepts easily and at the back there was a little glossary that gave the definitions when it got a little confusing, with words like "Markis" and "Marksinna" which are basically Dukes and Duchesses, but it all worked out in the end. The story starts off rapidly and we are automatically re-introduced to  Wendy, Matt, Rhys, and Finn. Which was awesomely perfect and clear cut to  the point. Wendy, I seemed to have an adoration for, she typically, like any other girl thrown into a situation where she was forced to lead and take action, was forced into a leadership role she didn't ask for (Princess duty). She was picked up from her teenage years and was forced to mature for the sake of the Kingdom (She must become Queen). She was a perfect role model for readers because, its a small but nonchalant way of describing how women have to sometimes grow up faster and mature because it's "Lady like" or "classy" which is what my Momster and Aunt always nag at me.  There's also the in between state where you can see that us women can do whatever we put our minds too! HECK YES!
   A big part I very much enjoyed in this book was the mother-daughter relationship between Wendy and Elora, it was small and monumental because it made me think about my own Mother (a.k.a. Momster; my lil' nickname for her XP) and then it hits me while I'm reading.....I love my Mother and I don't know where I'd be without her. Amanda Hocking doesn't describe Elora (Wendy's Mom) as some vicious witch, but more kind-hearted and wise, I liked that, because nowadays, Mother's of the hero or heroine of the book are usually placed as cruel and unloving, or there's some kind of distance placed between the two, I don't typically always enjoy that scenario. Moreover, I actually very much enjoyed this book and absolutely recommend it to anyone that has a thing for Fantasy, Romance, and an intense battle raging against the Tylle and the Vittra. 

No comments:

Post a Comment